Full course description
The Health, Safety, and Nutrition in the Early Years course focuses on birth to age 5, and it is aligned with CDA® Competency Standards and NAEYC Standards. The course will explore culturally responsive strategies, policies, and practices for creating, establishing, and maintaining the health, safety, and nutrition of children in the early years.
This is a fully online, asynchronous course where students work independently. While it is self-paced, this course is estimated to take four (4) to six (6) weeks to complete. All course content and assignments are organized into modules, called topics. All course material and assignments are completed at your own pace and it will be up to you to stay on schedule and follow the course progression.
This is a 15-hour course (1.5 CEU) that addresses the following Council for Professional Recognition subject area:
• Planning a safe and healthy learning environment.
Course Learning Outcome
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to develop and use strategies for the health, safety, and nutrition of young children, while being cognizant of the lives of disenfranchised, Black, Brown, Indigenous, Latinx children, and children with learning differences to:
1. Promote good health, nutrition, and wellness using culturally responsive pedagogies, and anti-racist perspectives.
2. Provide a safe environment to prevent and reduce illness and injuries and teach children safe practices to prevent and reduce illness and injuries.
3. Teach children good nutrition and healthy practices that takes into account their cultural backgrounds and experiences.
4. Locate, gather, and utilize resources to support the psychological and emotional well-being of children.
While taking this course you will complete two quizzes and the following assignments.
• Weekly Group Care Menu
• Sample Menu Competency Statement (Reflection)
As a student in AU's CDA® program, you will have access to a School of Education faculty coach for feedback, conversation, and support. Your coach will grade each of your assignments and offer feedback. You may also reach out if you have questions, need assistance, or would like to engage in conversation on one of the course topics.
This course meets the Gold Standard for quality in online courses through American University's Eagle Online Excellence Program.
The following texts are required for this course. Any other readings and resources are provided in Canvas under the related topic.
1. Washington, V. (Ed) (2017). CDA Essentials for Working with Young Children Second Edition. Council for Professional Recognition.
2. Washington, V. (Ed) (2019). CDA Essentials Workbook Second Edition. Council for Professional Recognition.
3. The CDA Competency Standards Book for the credential you are seeking.
Policies and Processes
The following is the refund policy for courses registered through our Professional and Lifelong Learning Portal (https://american.catalog.instructure.com/).
Learners will be eligible for a refund (minus any non-refundable fees) if they drop a course and request a refund no later than the date the course starts as per the dates in Canvas and/or Canvas Catalog platforms. If a learner registered for a course after the start date, they will be ineligible for a refund.
Learners registered for on-demand courses without a start date will be eligible for a refund if the course is dropped and a refund is requested within 24 hours of registration and when there is no record of page views or participation in the Canvas Platform.
Refund requests will be denied if requested after a course’s start date, 24 hours after registration in the case of on-demand courses without a start date, or when there is a record of page views or participation in the canvas Platform.
Payments and fees:
For payments with credit cards, debit cards or bank accounts, the tuition cost includes a non-refundable 4% administrative fee. In case an eligible refund is requested, the net funds returned will be the tuition minus 4%.
For questions about this course, policies, or refunds you can contact Gabrielle Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.