Full course description
The Professionalism and Community Building course focuses on birth to age 5, and it is aligned with CDA® Competency Standards and NAEYC Standards. The course is a an exploration of the role early childhood educators play in community-building to support the needs of young children and in engaging in courageous and professional leadership.
This is a fully online, asynchronous course where students work independently. While it is self-paced, this course is estimated to take ten (10) to twelve (12) weeks to complete. All course content and assignments are organized into modules, called topics. All course material and assignments are completed at your own pace and it will be up to you to stay on schedule and follow the course progression.
This is a 30-hour course (3.0 CEU) that addresses the following Council for Professional Recognition subject areas:
• Maintaining a commitment to professionalism
• Building productive relationships with families
Course Learning Outcome
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to develop and use strategies for building community in the following ways:
1. Describe the importance self-exploration, examination, and understanding of where issues of race and racism live within, with the purpose of being able to advance socially just practices to best support the children and their families.
2. Develop strategies for collaborating with local, national, and global communities and organizations and opportunities for participating with and eventually as leaders in their communities.
3. Make decisions based on knowledge of anti-racist and Culturally Responsive research-based early childhood practices.
4. Promote high-quality practices in child care services.
5. Take advantage of opportunities to improve knowledge and competence, both for personal and professional growth and for the benefit of children and families.
While taking this course you will complete one quiz and the following assignments:
1. Family Resource Guide (Portfolio Item RC IV 1-4)
2. Relationships with Families Competency Statement (Reflection)
3. Optional - Family Questionnaire Reflection
4. Professionalism Competency Statement
As a student in AU's CDA® program, you will have access to a School of Education faculty coach for feedback, conversation, and support. Your coach will grade each of your assignments and offer feedback. You may also reach out if you have questions, need assistance, or would like to engage in conversation on one of the course topics.
This course meets the Gold Standard for quality in online courses through American University's Eagle Online Excellence Program.
The following texts are required for this course. Any other readings and resources are provided in Canvas under the related topic.
1. Washington, V. (Ed) (2017). CDA Essentials for Working with Young Children Second Edition. Council for Professional Recognition.
2. Washington, V. (Ed) (2019). CDA Essentials Workbook Second Edition. Council for Professional Recognition.
3. The CDA Competency Standards Book for the credential you are seeking.
Policies and Processes
The following is the refund policy for courses registered through our Professional and Lifelong Learning Portal (https://american.catalog.instructure.com/).
Learners will be eligible for a refund (minus any non-refundable fees) if they drop a course and request a refund no later than the date the course starts as per the dates in Canvas and/or Canvas Catalog platforms. If a learner registered for a course after the start date, they will be ineligible for a refund.
Learners registered for on-demand courses without a start date will be eligible for a refund if the course is dropped and a refund is requested within 24 hours of registration and when there is no record of page views or participation in the Canvas Platform.
Refund requests will be denied if requested after a course’s start date, 24 hours after registration in the case of on-demand courses without a start date, or when there is a record of page views or participation in the canvas Platform.
Payments and fees:
For payments with credit cards, debit cards or bank accounts, the tuition cost includes a non-refundable 4% administrative fee. In case an eligible refund is requested, the net funds returned will be the tuition minus 4%.
For questions about this course, policies, or refunds you can contact Gabrielle Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.